The UK has been a driving force for green industries, helping to develop new projects and creating a wealth of employment opportunities. Investing in jobs that will help the UK meet its 2050 net zero carbon emissions target will help implement the government’s ‘leveling’ agenda by laying the groundwork for sustainable and resilient economic growth. The future of work lies in creating a net zero workforce, which encourages greener and cleaner practices while developing innovative technologies for the next generation.
In time for post-COP26 discussions, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) created a Net Zero Jobs infographic, visualize our potential careers of the future.
The green collar revolution
The Prime Minister’s ten-point plan for the ‘green industrial revolution’ is a milestone for the future of sustainable development, supporting up to 250,000 highly skilled green jobs in the UK by 2030. It’s not just evolving job titles; careers themselves are in flux in all sectors and industries.
The future of medical technology
The green collar revolution supports roles related to science and technology, opening up many opportunities for the medical technology industry.
Medical technology is the field of health care that deals with the development, use or evaluation of new or improved technologies and methods to diagnose, treat and prevent disease. Its focus is considered revolutionary in the medical field and encourages a thriving working relationship between the medical world and the engineering world, combining health and technology respectively.
The future of the medical technology industry is bright and sustainable. A new era of medicine, driven by technological innovation and continuous research, has given rise to exciting innovations such as personalized treatments for chronic diseases as well as more advanced surgical techniques that can be performed remotely. Innovative companies are using data analytics and cutting edge technology to create sustainable solutions that improve patient care while saving time and money in healthcare settings.
The need for green manufacturing practices is more pressing than ever, and medical devices are no exception. The growing demand for environmentally friendly practices within the medical industry, including multiplexing and 3D printing, will accelerate over the next 10 years; The United Nations has created a collaboration that aims to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in time for 2030.
Net zero jobs
The goal of net zero emissions will transform the way we work and create wealth. In addition to the medical technology revolution, here are nine jobs from various industries that UKRI predicts your business will need by 2030 …
A stem cell biologist
- Grow cells to replicate popular meat and fish products
- Ensuring optimum temperatures, pH levels and conditions for growth maturity
- Improve processes to increase quality and efficiency
Net Zero transformation advisor
- Provide advice on achieving Net Zero goals
- Help clients align policies with Net Zero legislation
- Communicate Net Zero policies, processes and procedures to customers and stakeholders
- Provide education and training
- Work collaboratively with an extended team and stakeholders
- Support the implementation of environmental strategies
Net Zero Education Manager
- Research and develop educational programs and resources for schools
- Promote educational programs
- Liaise with colleagues, teachers and community groups on the design and delivery of educational programs
- Give lectures in schools or community groups on environmental issues
- Organize events and activities
- Write environmental education policies and strategies
Satellite drone engineer
- Supervise environmental projects
- Analyze satellite data for different environments
- Collect and communicate data
- Maintenance and repair of drones
Net Zero Dietitian
- Online and / or face-to-face consultations with corporate clients
- Provide advice on diet and eating habits for Net Zero
- Motivate customers to adopt more sustainable eating habits
- Keep up to date with the latest Net Zero power research and data
Digital carbon trader
- Manage business opportunities in the environmental space
- Analyze renewable energy markets
- Develop the analysis and modeling of the carbon market
- Ensure that trading activity complies with risk governance policies and procedures
- Growing edible leaves and soft fruits
- Analyze yield and quality of crops
- Diagnose and resolve crop health issues
- Equipment maintenance
- Improve the efficiency of cultivation
- Data gathering
Floating Wind Turbine Engineer
- Offshore turbine services such as repair and breakdown service
- Maintain health and safety procedures
- Monitoring and inspection for structural analysis
- Monitoring of installation and maintenance operations
Sustainable consumer labeling designer
- Design sustainable packaging innovations
- Support branding and marketing efforts
- Stay up to date with the latest research on sustainable packaging
Med-Tech Innovation Expo is the UK and Ireland’s premier event for medical device design and manufacturing technology. Taking place from June 8-9, 2022, be inspired by thought leaders and discover new solutions, materials, machines, applications and suppliers in the medical technology industry.